Kirjoittaja Aihe: Pinionin vaihto 15 -> 14/16, vaikutukset  (Luettu 9801 kertaa)

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
  • Jyri Laitinen - Valokuvaaja
Pinionin vaihto 15 -> 14/16, vaikutukset
« : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 11:18:05 »
Kun tuli tuo pienempi pinioni tilattua rupesin mietiskelemään mitähän kaikkea se mahtaa muuttaa?

Nyt kaasukäyrä 85% Jazzissa GOV päällä ja kiekat nupissa 2800, pienemmällä pinionilla varmaan 90-95 jotta olisi samat kiekat, miten mahtaa käydä virrankulutuksen ja tehon/väännön, vääntöä luulisi tulevan lisää, seuraako tästä että ei bogaa niin helpolla. Tyhjästähän ei kuitenkaan tehoa tule eli virrankulutus varmaan kasvaa mahdollisissa tehopiikeissä, vai...

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
Vs: Pinionin vaihto 15 -> 14, vaikutukset
« Vastaus #1 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 11:58:40 »
in my experience:

- a larger pinion gives insane peak power but the efficiency is lost.
This is because the motor draws more current than it's meant to, and the magnetic core saturates: More current doesn't translate 1:1 into more torque, but losses increase with current squared.
Still, this gives the governor more power reserve. You get (almost) constant power until the end of the flight, where power suddenly drops. It's quite dangerous for LiPos, because you don't notice when it's empty.
- a MUCH too big pinion again limits punch. But this is far beyond what anybody with a bit of common sense would do (and then there's me :-) ).
there's a risk to toast the ESC this way, for example a little GAUI drawing > 40 amps peak from an 18 A ESC.

- A smaller pinion runs more efficiently. The ESC uses wide-open throttle for long periods of time, minimizing switching losses. But the governor doesn't have the same power reserve, and you notice this especially at the end of the flight. Maybe it can't even maintain the targeted headspeed - from that point on the ESC runs flat 100 % throttle (which is very power efficient but lacks punch).

- if you change headspeed at the same time, it's very hard to notice that motor efficiency has changed. The impact from raising or lowering headspeed is simply much bigger.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 28 Elokuu, 2009, 12:02:52 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
« Vastaus #2 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 13:06:36 »
Eli jos vaihdan pienemmän pinionin ja muutan kaasua siten että headspeed pysyy samana ei pitäisi olla juuri muuta vaikutusta kuin että ESCillä on vähemmän reserviä piikkejä varten, varsinkin jos ja kun Jazz ilmeisesti toimii osakaasulla sangen loistokkaasti, jollain muulla noparilla lienisi suurempi hyöty siitä että voi ajaa isommalla kaasulla.

Pitäneekö tästä vetää johtopäätös että tuosta vaihdoksesta ei taida olla juurikaan iloa? Paitsi ehkä kokemus :)

Poissa Jussi.

• Jäsen 2023
  • Sekakäyttäjä (FPV/CP). Vuoden torppari 2013
    • Torppari 2013
« Vastaus #3 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 13:14:39 »
Tehohan on vääntömomentti * kierrokset.
Eli, jos nostat koneen kierroksia, saat saman tehon pienemmällä virralla. Kun virta pienenee, kaikki häviöt pienenevät. 
Saanet lentoaikaa karvanverran enemmän?
Ja tosiaan jos noparissa ei ole "active free-wheeling" "toimintoa" niin täysilläajaminen on vähemmän hukkaavaa.

ehkä?

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
« Vastaus #4 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 13:26:10 »
Ja Jazzihan on, vai onko tuo aktiivinen vapaapyörä ;)
Pitänee tuota pienempää pinionia kuitenkin kokeilla niin on sitten omakohtaista kokemusta sen jälkeen...

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #5 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 14:21:02 »
>> Tehohan on vääntömomentti * kierrokset.
true, but this doesn't tell anything about the current. The same headspeed and pitch means for the motor
- more torque and higher RPM (large pinion)
- less torque and higher RPM (smaller pinion).
Current and power are the same, as long as the motor efficiency doesn't change (but it does).
------------
"Active freewheeling" is a circuit in the ESC. When the current is switched between motor coils, the motor inductance wants to keep the current flowing. It's impossible to stop it from one moment to the other.
Therefore, conventional ESCs use diodes as path to the "return current". They are lossy.
With active freewheeling, the FETs are switched in a more complicated manner to provide a low-loss return path.
It matters under partial load and allows more "abuse" towards higher pinions without killing the ESC.

This is pretty useless information for most. What's important is that active freewheeling reduces losses under partial load.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 28 Elokuu, 2009, 14:23:10 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jussi.

• Jäsen 2023
    • Torppari 2013
« Vastaus #6 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 14:36:21 »
OK,
maybe I made an false non-distinction between torque and current, and also motor rpm and voltage.
I stand corrected.

But...
Lainaus
Current and power are the same, as long as the motor efficiency doesn't change (but it does).

Throw me a bone... why does it change. Or am I just lost

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #7 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 15:05:26 »
OK,
maybe I made an false non-distinction between torque and current, and also motor rpm and voltage.
I stand corrected.

But...
Lainaus

Throw me a bone... why does it change. Or am I just lost
Well, the motor is happiest if it gets just the right voltage to keep the desired headspeed. Then it reaches maximum efficiency.
With a higher pinion, the ESC "chops" the motor supply. So the LiPo "looks to the motor" as if it had a lower voltage.

The problem with chopping is, it increases losses:
one ampere over one second is the same as two amperes over half a second, as far as power is concerned (since voltage is fixed).
BUT
the losses differ by a factor of 2 (integrate "one ampere squared" over one second, then integrate "two amperes squared" over half a second)

this probably only makes sense with some electronics background - if it makes no sense, just remember that the motor tends to run more efficiently at 100 % throttle, since the ESC doesn't need chopping.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 28 Elokuu, 2009, 15:44:42 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jussi.

• Jäsen 2023
    • Torppari 2013
« Vastaus #8 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 16:22:26 »
Lainaus
this probably only makes sense with some electronics background - if it makes no sense, just remember that the motor tends to run more efficiently at 100 % throttle, since the ESC doesn't need chopping.

So, In Jyris case, with 15 teeth, 85% throttle is giving desired headspeed for hovering. When loaded, governor will add a bit of punch up to 100%. Most of the time, (Jyri is not tictoccin all the time) 15% of power is chopped. Right?

But with 14 teeth, 100% throttle is probably needed to get desired headspeed so
- Governor doesn't have anything to play with (could actually be turned off)
- ESC doesn't need to chop at all, just merrily change the polarity in correct tempo.
- Headspeedwise, the motor is "mechanically" stronger to resist load because of gearing so it can keep the headspeed on same level than with 15teeth case.

Summa summarum.. running 14 teeth will give slight edge on flight time without affect on flight performance.
If correct, should'nt we electric-flyers focus on getting desired headspeed with gearing on 100% bang, and forget governors and other fancy stuff? (use turnigy plush HV, instead of kontronik :) )

If I'm lost.. just say so and i stop buggin..

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #9 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 17:58:58 »
absolutely, for just flying around.
But for 3D-ish moves I need (or think I need) the extra "kick".
And right, you can survive with a cheap ESC if you run flat 100 % in normal mode. Or 100-100-95-100-100. Align ESCs are best enjoyed this way, but headspeed varies about 15 % (3.7-4.2V/cell).

But, at the end of the day there are only three candidate pinions. Why not simply try them all (with the risk of putting a bit more stress on the ESC - Jive has overcurrent sensing, but Jazz AFAIK not). The difference is quite clear.

« Viimeksi muokattu: 28 Elokuu, 2009, 18:25:56 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
« Vastaus #10 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 20:46:09 »
Lisätään liikkuvia tekijöitä:
- Jostain muistan lukeneeni että Jazz varaa aina reserviä GOVille, joku joskus sanoi kokeilleensa että 100% kaasu GOVilla vastaa 85% ilman GOVia
- Luulin aiemmin että minulla akut kyykähtävät, eivätkä anna enempää ulos kuin 50A ja vaihtelut headspeedissä johtuvat tuosta, mutta kun tekee samaa myös noilla G3 akuilla enkä niilläkään saa enempää virtaa kulumaan kuin max 50A niin ei taida olla vika akkujen virranatokyvyssä, voisiko olla että Kora ei vain ota enempää / kykene enempään kuin tuo 50A???

Oheinen kuva selvittäköön asiaa: Dataloggerin Hyperionin G3 VX akkujen ja Turnigyn akkujen eroista, kaksi ekaa on Hyperion ja kolme viimeistä on Turnigyn dataa...

EDIT:
Eka akullinen on kevyttä leijuttelua ja kurvailua, tokassa oli jo looppeja ja flippejä. Ja kun katsotaan lämpöjä (mootorin) niin ei sekään taida täysillä pöhistä tai ainakaan hukata energiaa lämmöksi kun kerra on maks 35 asteessa.

Ihmetyttää vain miksei tuo govi osaa paremmin tasata kiekkoja ja miksi ei virrat kasva enempää vaikka kierrokset tippuvat huomattavasti, eikö tuon Jazzin GOVi toimi niin kuin sen kuuluisi?

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #11 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 23:29:47 »
Now this is a guess: But could it be that the motor is reaching its limits?
Under peaks it's consuming more than 3x the typical power, still it's bogging.
One possible explanation is magnetic saturation, then the current increases dramatically but doesn't produce much more extra torque.
Unfortunately I don't own a logger, so I don't have any comparison.

If motor and ESC are getting hot, that's a sign that the pinion is too big.

And yes, the Kontronik governor leaves some RPM reserve so that it has a chance to maintain the initial headspeed from 100 % over the duration of the flight.
Why it's changing so much, I don't know (this might indicate a too small pinion  ::) )
« Viimeksi muokattu: 28 Elokuu, 2009, 23:31:19 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
« Vastaus #12 : 28 Elokuu, 2009, 23:50:36 »
Liian kuumana ei ainakaan moottori käy, 35 astetta. Jazzista on vaikeampi sanoa kun se on niin hyvin jemmattu Protoksessa.

Takaisin teoriaan...Otetaan kaksi oletettua tilannetta:
1. 14t pinion ja headspeed 2800
2. 15t pinion ja headspeed 2800

Kun tehdään jotakin josta aiheutuu lisäkuormaa moottorille ja moottorin raja tulee vastaan, niin eikö 1 vaihtoehdossa ole enemmän tehoa lavoilla (teho = kierrokset x vääntö), siis nupissa samat kierrokset mutta moottori kiertää enemmän  ::)

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #13 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 08:43:25 »
If the motor stays cool, I'd go for a larger pinion for more power and less flight time. I don't even need a logger for that  :)

tuupola

• Vieras
« Vastaus #14 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 13:33:48 »
Yhtä asiaa en nyt ymmärrä. Tässäkin threadissa on sanottu että 100% flat käyrän lentoaika on sama kuin  isommalla pinionilla ja esim 90% käyrällä (headpseed sama).

Itselläni on kuitenkin toisenlainen kokemus. Kun vaihdoin 13t + 90% flat yhdistelmästä 12t + 100% flat yhdistelmään lentoaika tippui. Ehkä kyse on siitä että en kokoajan lennä moottorin tehorajoilla joten se ei joudu imemaan akusta isommalla pinionilla enemmän amppeereita?

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #15 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 13:44:09 »
>> Tässäkin threadissa on sanottu että 100% flat käyrän lentoaika on sama kuin  isommalla pinionilla ja esim 90% käyrällä

Probably I said that, and you have to think a bit "like an engineer" to make sense of it.

What I meant: If you forget about all the gory details, and simply look at
- the power that goes in (voltage * current)
and
- the power that comes out (torque * RPM)
the pinion doesn't matter. Simple as that. In other words, with an ideal motor / ESC it wouldn't matter.

Real ESCs / motors aren't ideal - as you found out. But now things get complicated.
Sometimes one has to deal with all the gory details. But that is a waste of time, if I don't understand the simple, idealized "big picture" (here: with ideal components, "Power in" equals "Power out", the conservation of power / energy is an often-quoted nature's law).

I almost regret commenting on the thread  :) There are only three or so choices - why not simply try them and spend your time flying in blessful ignorance ;D
« Viimeksi muokattu: 29 Elokuu, 2009, 13:46:50 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

tuupola

• Vieras
« Vastaus #16 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 13:53:07 »
Probably I said that, and you have to think a bit "like an engineer" to make sense of it.

Sama teoria on ollut monella muullakin foorumilla ja se on loogillinen. Se minua panikin mieityttämään koska oma real world kokemus poikkeaa teoriasta. Vispilä muistaakseni kuvasi asiaa hyvin. Pienellä kaasukäyrällä lentäminen on sama kuin polkupyörällä vitosvaihteella ajaminen ylämäkeen. Toisaalta voisi sanoa että 100% kaasukäyrä on sama kuin autolla ajaminen kakkosella moottoritiellä ;)

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #17 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 14:06:00 »
>> Toisaalta voisi sanoa että 100% kaasukäyrä on sama kuin autolla ajaminen kakkosella moottoritiellä
now that is beyond engineering.

What I know is
- as a "first order approximation" - assuming everything is ideal - it makes no difference

- looking in more detail,
- (I) higher RPM of an otherwise idling motor draw more amps (your motorway example)
- (II) on the other hand, lowering RPM by higher pinion and lower throttle curve causes increased losses from current chopping (aka "pulse width modulation").

which one of the two above arguments "wins"? (I) or (II)?
In my experience it's the latter, but that depends on the individual case.
You can argue either way, but without additional information there is no way to know.
« Viimeksi muokattu: 29 Elokuu, 2009, 14:07:35 kirjoittanut mnentwig »

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
« Vastaus #18 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 18:00:17 »
No niin tässä tulee dataa, ei kaiken kattavasti mutta kuitenkin.
Olin tänään Röylässä ja päädyin sitten kuitenkin kokeilemaan isompaa pinionia (lähinnä laiskuuttani, kun 16T menee samalle adapterille kuin vakio 15T), nyt pitäisi tietty vielä kokeilla 14T pinionia jotta saisi kunnolla vertailupohjaa.

Oheisissa logeissa siis yritetty ajoittain rääkätä kopterista kaikki irti, eli looppeja, flippejä ja muutama isompi silmukkakin tikut laidassa ;) GOV päällä
Älkää välittäkö viimeisen login lämpötilakäyrästä, siinä oli anturi hieman "väärin".
Ps. Ihan hyvä että tuli tuo pinioni vaihdettua, sillä alkuperäinen oli jo aikalailla kulunut...

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #19 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 18:16:07 »
yes...
with the 16 tooth pinion, the headspeed is finally stable.
Current peaks are around 60 amps.

with the 15 tooth pinion, the headspeed drops. The governor would then drive 100 % throttle all the time. Current peaks are only 40 or so.
Just looking at the headspeed, I'd go for 16.

Poissa mnentwig

• Elävä Legenda
  • this sentence no verb
« Vastaus #21 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 18:22:06 »
>> jonka huomasi lentäessäkin
phew. I almost thought I had to buy a logger  ;D

Poissa Jussi.

• Jäsen 2023
    • Torppari 2013
« Vastaus #22 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 18:23:27 »
Joo, hyvältä näyttää tuo 16. Mikäs ton Koran KV oli? Pitäis varmaan kokeilla 16 piikkisellä itsekin. Mikäköhän on ehdoton maksimi-headspeed radixeilla/sabeilla?

Poissa Jyri

• Seniori torppari
Vs: Pinionin vaihto 15 -> 14/16, vaikutukset
« Vastaus #23 : 29 Elokuu, 2009, 18:28:09 »
Ellen ihan väärin muista niin Kora 15-14 on 800KV.

Aika makeaksi muuttui kyllä kopukka, poistuu hieman eri tahtiin tuolla 16 piikkisellä. Suosittelen tai siis riippuu siitä käyttääkö GOVia vai ei.

Muistelisin että maailmalla ovat lennelleet jopa 3300-3400 kiekoilla, mutta voi olla aika pelottava laite silloin...Jostain on jäänyt että 2800 tai 3000 oli jonkin lapavalmistajan raja.

Vastaavat aiheet

Aihe / Aloittaja Vastauksia Uusin viesti
6 Vastauksia
4298 Lukukerrat
Uusin viesti 16 Helmikuu, 2008, 16:28:48
kirjoittanut Vispilä
24 Vastauksia
11887 Lukukerrat
Uusin viesti 06 Joulukuu, 2010, 16:55:02
kirjoittanut tuupola
12 Vastauksia
18469 Lukukerrat